Monday, January 22, 2007

Playing in the snow

Here are some photo's of us playing in the white powder on our recent snow day.




















The whole Portland area saw a few inches of snow on January 16th. Up at our house, we had 4 inches. It made for a fun little holiday for everyone. Schools shut down, kids stayed home, parents got to skip out of going to work and nearly everyone was outside playing.

Padraic had lots of fun sledding down the driveway on a makeshift sled of cardboard. (Mom & Dad even tried it once or twice) And of course we had a small snowball fight-- which was really more like trying to throw powder at each other than a packed ball since the snow wasn't moist enough until the next day. All in all, it was lots of fun. Cold, but fun.

No injures at our house, unlike the so many others we heard about on the news. Tons of kids were injured in sledding accidents. Mostly because they picked a slope to go down with no thought to what may be at the bottom. Kids were running into trash cans, parked cars, tree stumps, street curbs--you name it. One kid was run over by a passing car when he sled out into traffic. There was even a little girl who died when her sled, pulled by rope attached to her dad's truck, ran her into a brick wall. How devastatingly sad! I just can not imagine sending my child out to play one day, and it turning out that I never again see my child alive. It's times like these, and stories like these, that I am so glad that it is important to me to keep a good eye on my own child.

2 comments:

  1. your little family is just so cute! :) I miss all of you. But not for looonnngg.. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad too see you all out having fun in the snow. We did the same back in Missouri with the kids and also had a blast. It was nice to see pics of all 3 of you. You all look well and I can't wait to watch your family grow.
    Love ya, Sarah

    ReplyDelete